Wednesday 3 July 2013

My Experience: Giving Blood.


Hi Guys, 

I'll be talking about something that is very close to my heart. Giving blood. Why does it mean so much to me you ask? Because when my mum was giving birth to me she needed to have a blood transfusion. So in a way i feel like i am giving back, what saved my mums life. I am going to be honest, I didn't have the best experience giving blood. But would i do it again? In the blink of an eye. I went to the give blood session. First i had to fill out my details, i got asked some questions & i got to ask questions back. 

Then the nurse had to make sure my haemoglobin levels were ok, so that giving blood wouldn't make me anaemic. Then i had to drink some water & away we went. The particular problem i had was i bruised straight away. Also my blood didn't want to come out unfortunately. So while laying on the bed i got very dizzy, i thought i might pass out. I had to stop giving blood, therefore didn't make it to the 470ml you are supposed to give. Which was so dissapointing.

 Because this happened to me does not mean it will happen to you, so please dont let it scare you away. The staff were very kind & understanding.They really put themselves out to look after me. I would recommend if you can give blood, please do. Its an hour out of your day to save someones life. Don't worry that you are giving away your blood because it re-generates its self very quickly. I am planning to give blood again in October.

For more information go to: www.blood.co.uk


4 comments:

  1. You are so brave, I would like to give blood, but I am terrified of needles! Just the thought makes me feel queezy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely understand that Sheree. My Fiancee has a phobia. He wont have them willingly & can't watch me having them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave blood about 6 months ago. I didn't drink enough water beforehand so when I had given blood I went a fetching shade of green and felt very dizzy! My chair got immediately tipped up and I had to lie with me head nearer the ground than my feet for a good 10-15 mins before being made to drink lemon squash! the nurses also wouldn't let me drive myself home so I had to get a friend to come and collect me! How stupid did I feel! Although I did feel better when Mr Army Man in the chair next to me had the same thing straight after laughing at me!

    My sister and my best friend also had to have blood transfusions when they gave birth which is what made me want to do it. I didn't have any bruising or anything (I don't bruise that easily thank god!) and I plan on doing it at least once a year.

    http://daydreamsanddee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I had a similar thing to you. They layed me down, raised my feet in the air, put cold compresses all over me. It was all abit dramatic, the i had to drink lemon squash and i had a red card by me. I was also really embaressed, didnt want to look like i was making a scene lol. Well done for doing it though hun, its so important.

    ReplyDelete